Auto Insurance AUTO

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.

Read More
Homeowners Insurance HOME

A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your specific and unique needs.

Read More
Contractors Insurance CONTRACTORS

Learn about different health coverage options that fit your specific needs.

Read More
Recreational Insurance RECREATIONAL

Finding insurance doesn't have to be difficult. We do the work for you.

Read More
Life Insurance LIFE

Browse a variety of insurance options in order to find the right one for you.

Read More

Broken Items In Home

Let's say a visitor comes to your home. That visitor causes damage to it, such as breaking a window or dropping an expensive vase. Do you have home insurance to cover these losses? This depends on multiple factors.

Most of the time, home insurance covers accidental loss and damage. But there are a few other factors that play a role in this, too.

Why Did The Damage Occur?

Home insurance policies typically cover damage that is accidental. It is something that happened that you could not predict or prevent from occurring. When a person comes to your home, you are welcoming them in. If they were to damage your belongings on purpose, your insurance might not offer coverage to you.

On the other hand, they may have an accident. That vase may slip off the shelf. The visitor may damage the home's drywall by falling through it. There are many potential accidents that can occur. These types of accidents generally have some coverage under your home insurance policy.

What Received Damage?

Other factors to consider include the types of items that suffered damage and those items' value. For example, damage to the structure is likely to automatically have coverage. However, if there is something very valuable lost, there may be some limits to consider. Most home insurance policies limit per item damage to $1,000. If you own items over this amount, you can separately insure them as a rider. You should do this for any type of asset in your home.

What About The Deductible?

It is also important to consider the deductible for your policy. Many home insurance deductibles range from $500 to $1,000, though these deductibles can be much higher. This deductible is the amount you pay first. The insurance company then pays the rest. That broken vase may have a value of $2,000. If your deductible is $1,000, the home insurance policy covers the second $1,000 to replace the item. If the damage is under $1,000, though, the policy may not pay you anything. At this point, you need to determine if it is worth filing a claim.

Your Affordable Insurance Group agent can help you through this process. Contact them after an incident. Be sure to take pictures of what happened. That can help your agent process the claim for you.

Taking these actions can help you to get back to replacing the item or getting the repairs done as necessary. Most often, this is a simple process to follow.

Keep in mind, your visitor might have liability insurance of their own that can pay for the losses. If your own insurance can't help, theirs might.

Contact Us

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Homeowners of America
National General
The Hartford
The Main Street
© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder